How does Firestone Complete Auto Care inspect my A/C system?
We use a customized machine (RTI RHS980) that has been specifically designed to test and diagnose any and all automotive A/C problems. If we suspect a leak we’ll install a special UV Dye visible by black light or use “sniffer” to detect leaks. This device is run along the outside of your A/C system parts and can detect any refrigerant fumes and residue that have breached the A/C system.
Do I need an appointment to have my A/C inspected?
Stay cool. An appointment isn’t necessary to provide a comprehensive A/C Performance Check, but a service appointment can be made for your convenience.
How long does an A/C Performance Check take?
Well, you’ve guessed it, most A/C repairs occur during the hottest days of the year. Let’s just say, when it rains it pours car A/C repairs. And when the weather heats up is usually when most people realize their A/C isn’t working. The inspection and testing process alone can take at least 30 minutes—and that’s if there is no problem or it’s an easy problem to spot (are you feeling lucky?).
In many cases, should any work be required on your A/C system, you’ll have the convenience of having the recommended services performed that same day. So don’t sweat it. No additional appointments are necessary. We’ve all got busy lives. Drop your vehicle off and we’ll give you a ring when it’s done so you can get on with your day while your vehicle is getting the full A/C treatment. Want to wait? Pull up a chair in our cozy customer lounge and chill out in our A/C while we fix your A/C.
Why do I need A/C in the winter?
Because scraping the inside of your windows is even less fun than scraping the outside! Seriously, not only does your air conditioning system provide cool air in the summer, it also de-humidifies the air, eliminating moisture when you’re running the defroster in the winter. A properly functioning A/C system is especially important in the winter to eliminate moisture that fogs up or freezes on the inside of the glass preventing you from seeing clearly.
Get rid of your winter A/C frustrations.
What is included with your A/C Service?
We offer four A/C services to keep you cool and comfortable:
1. A/C Performance Check
This is our most basic service. We’ll determine the condition of your A/C system and whether or not you need any additional work performed.
An A/C System Performance Check includes:
- Visual Inspection
- Performance Test
- Pressure and Leak Test
2. A/C Evacuate and Recharge
Let’s bring back the chill. With any A/C repairs we perform, we will also perform an A/C Evacuate and Recharge.
With the A/C Evacuate and Recharge we’ll:
- Recover any remaining old refrigerant from your A/C system.
- Evacuate system according to your vehicle manufacturer’s procedure for proper evacuation.
- Recharge A/C system with proper amount of new or recycled refrigerant.
- Verify System is performing well by checking pressure and temperature control.
3. A/C Retrofit from R-12 to R-134a
Need a change for the better? Even if your vehicle’s designed with the old refrigerant, R-12, we’re fully equipped to retrofit your vehicle for R-134a. With this retrofit you’ll have an environmentally friendly A/C system, free of all ozone destroying CFCs (Chlorofluorocarbons).
Your A/C System Retrofit includes:
- Visual inspection of your current A/C system makeup
- Testing the A/C system’s current performance
- Recovering R-12
- Repairing A/C system to accommodate R-134a
- Installing new Accumulator/Drier
- Installing service port conversion fittings
- Adding the proper amount of R-134a compatible oil
- Performing deep evacuation
- Charging the A/C system with R-134a
- Conduct performance test on new retrofit A/C system
- Apply retrofit label to certify system as R-134a compatible
4. A/C System Repair/Replacement
We service most makes and model domestic or import.
We can replace:
- O-rings, seals, hoses and lines
- Compressors and compressor clutches
- Orifice tubes and thermal expansion valves
- Driers, receivers and accumulators
- Switches, solenoids, relays, control modules and blend doors
- Blower motors and blower motor resistorsAll our A/C services and repairs come with a 12 month/12000 mile warranty (whichever comes first).
Do you service A/C systems on Hybrid Vehicles?
If your Hybrid is equipped with a standard, belt-driven A/C compressor, then we can service your vehicle.
Note: Currently, we do not service Hybrid vehicles with electrically driven A/C compressors.
What special equipment do you use when servicing my A/C system?
The RTI RHS980 is the brains behind the complicated equations and chemical analysis performed during an A/C system test. This machine is standard in all our Firestone locations and is the most trusted and accurate way to detect any potential A/C system problems. Without this equipment, a lot of hard to detect problems would either go unnoticed or take a lot longer to detect.
How are Firestone technicians trained to service A/C systems?
Not any technician off the street can service an A/C system. Really. it’s the law. Any person that wants to service an A/C system must first receive proper training and pass a certification test conducted by the Mobile Air Conditioning Society (MACS).
MACS was created in 1990 after the EPA required special certification for any technician servicing any A/C systems. The MACS certification test is designed to gauge the technician’s knowledge on properly recovering and recycling refrigerant. Refrigerant is a highly volatile and dangerous substance requiring certification by the EPA.
Although the MACS test is not designed to evaluate the skills necessary to repair or service an A/C system, here at Firestone Complete Auto Care, we go a step further.
With our own onsite training, our technicians receive the complete training regimen necessary to understand and successfully recharge and repair any car, truck or SUV A/C system part.